Old March 18th 10, 09:55 AM posted to uk.media.home-cinema

Default Query about AV receivers

A couple of years ago I bought an all-in-one Upscaling DVD player / 5.1
surround sound system. I knew the limitations, but I had a budget and
before I spent a lot on an AV receiver + speakers I wanted to make sure
it would actually improve my enjoyment of movies, that the speakers
would look okay, and that the shape of the room wouldn't be an issue.

It proved all those things and now I'm looking around at options for
upgrading to an entry level AV Receiver.

I just wanted to confirm my understanding of something. Because the
current system is an all-in-one, it doesn't have any HDMI inputs. It
has a single optical audio input. At the moment, I therefore have the
PS3 HDMI going into the TV, and the digital audio out going into the
all-in-one system.

The receivers I've been looking at have 4 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output.
So, am I right in thinking that I would switch the PS3 HDMI into the AV
receiver (and say, Sky HD), and plug the AV receiver into the TV's HDMI.
From them on, I would switch the picture and sound from the AV receiver
and it changes which image signal goes to the TV?

Sorry it's such a basic question, but I don't want to make any stupid
assumptions and screw up the buying process.

--
Tony Evans
blog -> http://perceptionistruth.com/

Old March 18th 10, 11:07 AM posted to uk.media.home-cinema

In article >, Tony
> writes
>A couple of years ago I bought an all-in-one Upscaling DVD player / 5.1
>surround sound system. I knew the limitations, but I had a budget and
>before I spent a lot on an AV receiver + speakers I wanted to make sure
>it would actually improve my enjoyment of movies, that the speakers
>would look okay, and that the shape of the room wouldn't be an issue.
>
>It proved all those things and now I'm looking around at options for
>upgrading to an entry level AV Receiver.
>
>I just wanted to confirm my understanding of something. Because the
>current system is an all-in-one, it doesn't have any HDMI inputs. It
>has a single optical audio input. At the moment, I therefore have the
>PS3 HDMI going into the TV, and the digital audio out going into the
>all-in-one system.
>
>The receivers I've been looking at have 4 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output.
> So, am I right in thinking that I would switch the PS3 HDMI into the AV
>receiver (and say, Sky HD), and plug the AV receiver into the TV's HDMI.
> From them on, I would switch the picture and sound from the AV receiver
>and it changes which image signal goes to the TV?

Yep, that's pretty much it.
--
Sean Black
Old March 18th 10, 04:43 PM posted to uk.media.home-cinema

"Tony" > wrote in message
>A couple of years ago I bought an all-in-one Upscaling DVD player / 5.1
> surround sound system. I knew the limitations, but I had a budget and
> before I spent a lot on an AV receiver + speakers I wanted to make sure
> it would actually improve my enjoyment of movies, that the speakers
> would look okay, and that the shape of the room wouldn't be an issue.
>
> It proved all those things and now I'm looking around at options for
> upgrading to an entry level AV Receiver.
>
> I just wanted to confirm my understanding of something. Because the
> current system is an all-in-one, it doesn't have any HDMI inputs. It
> has a single optical audio input. At the moment, I therefore have the
> PS3 HDMI going into the TV, and the digital audio out going into the
> all-in-one system.
>
> The receivers I've been looking at have 4 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output.
> So, am I right in thinking that I would switch the PS3 HDMI into the AV
> receiver (and say, Sky HD), and plug the AV receiver into the TV's HDMI.
> From them on, I would switch the picture and sound from the AV receiver
> and it changes which image signal goes to the TV?
>
> Sorry it's such a basic question, but I don't want to make any stupid
> assumptions and screw up the buying process.

That's how mine works.

BD -- HDMI --> Amp
Sat -- coax --> Amp
TV (has FreeSat 5.1) -- optical --> Amp