Old February 22nd 10, 10:30 AM posted to uk.media.home-cinema

Default Ok lets see if this NG got readers, Blue-ray discs?

Just upgraded by DVD player to a Blue-ray one.
The DVD part is region 2 soon to be Multi region when I modify it.
The Blue-ray is region B not able to be MR.

First thing I learnt now is Blue-ray discs are a rip off in stores as I'm
asked say 5 more than a DVD.
So advice needed on how to buy at better prices. Just which countries are
region B?
Can I assume all will have English on?

Regards
David

Old February 23rd 10, 01:44 PM posted to uk.media.home-cinema

In article >, David
> writes
>Just upgraded by DVD player to a Blue-ray one.
>The DVD part is region 2 soon to be Multi region when I modify it.
>The Blue-ray is region B not able to be MR.
>
>First thing I learnt now is Blue-ray discs are a rip off in stores as
>I'm asked say 5 more than a DVD.
>So advice needed on how to buy at better prices. Just which countries
>are region B?
>Can I assume all will have English on?

It was the same when DVD first came out, it's new, better quality, it's
all the excuse they need to charge more.

Shop around, there always seem to be deals around, 2 for 18 etc...
online.

I think Europe and Australia are Region B, they should all have English,
but you'd really need to check the specific disc.

Lots of discs are region-free (again you'll need to check the particular
disc you're interested in) so you can buy from the US, but with the
exchange rate, it isn't always any cheaper.
--
Sean Black
Old February 23rd 10, 03:47 PM posted to uk.media.home-cinema

"Sean Black" > wrote in message
news

> Lots of discs are region-free (again you'll need to check the particular
> disc you're interested in) so you can buy from the US, but with the
> exchange rate, it isn't always any cheaper.

So will region free from America be ok here with Blue Ray?
I know on ordinary DVD they play but thought it different with Blue Ray,
something to do with TV specs.
I know I have changed normal DVD to MR but have been told it not that simple
with Blue Ray.
Thanks for your advice on buying.
Regards
David

Old February 24th 10, 08:51 AM posted to uk.media.home-cinema

In article >, David
> writes
>

>"Sean Black" > wrote in message
>news >
>>
>> Lots of discs are region-free (again you'll need to check the
>>particular disc you're interested in) so you can buy from the US, but
>>with the exchange rate, it isn't always any cheaper.

>So will region free from America be ok here with Blue Ray?

Yes, if they're region free they'll play on any machine.

>I know on ordinary DVD they play but thought it different with Blue
>Ray, something to do with TV specs.

I don't think the whole PAL/NTSC thing matters when it comes to HD.

--
Sean Black