Old August 10th 09, 02:30 PM posted to uk.media.home-cinema
les les is offline

Default Home cinema and usb external hard drive

Not sure if this is the right newsgroup but I have a 500gb external
hard drive with only 10gb in use (mainly home movies in avi and sets
of old movies in black and white etc) I connect the usb hard drive to
my samsung ht-x200 system.

When I first started using it, it used to boot in really quick and
then as I put more stuff on it became slower, it seems to need to scan
and pick up the first file to play and it always picks the same film.

I decided to catalogue them to see if it got quicker, by that I mean
put films in different folders but it takes ages still and seems to
pick out the first folder then start playing the first film.

Once the first file starts to play I can stop it and I can flick
through the folders really quick so not sure what is happening.

Anyone had this problem and how have you, if you have, overcome it. I
did think of making a menu in html but doubt that would work as I dont
think it will read html files.

Old August 10th 09, 05:24 PM posted to uk.media.home-cinema

les wrote:
> Not sure if this is the right newsgroup but I have a 500gb external
> hard drive with only 10gb in use (mainly home movies in avi and sets
> of old movies in black and white etc) I connect the usb hard drive to
> my samsung ht-x200 system.
>
> When I first started using it, it used to boot in really quick and
> then as I put more stuff on it became slower, it seems to need to scan
> and pick up the first file to play and it always picks the same film.
>
> I decided to catalogue them to see if it got quicker, by that I mean
> put films in different folders but it takes ages still and seems to
> pick out the first folder then start playing the first film.
>
> Once the first file starts to play I can stop it and I can flick
> through the folders really quick so not sure what is happening.
>
> Anyone had this problem and how have you, if you have, overcome it. I
> did think of making a menu in html but doubt that would work as I dont
> think it will read html files.

My guess is it's a software issue.
A firmware update to your ht-x200 might 'fix' it, but chances are that's
the way it is. I doubt Samsung would spend too much time fixing it since
it doesn't add any top-line features...
"It can play avi files from a usb -NEXT! Move on!" is their approach, is
my guess.

-Kevin.

--
Have a **MARVELLOUS DAY!**
http://www.stanleyrumm.com
Old August 10th 09, 05:33 PM posted to uk.media.home-cinema

"les" > wrote in message
> Not sure if this is the right newsgroup but I have a 500gb external
> hard drive with only 10gb in use (mainly home movies in avi and sets
> of old movies in black and white etc) I connect the usb hard drive to
> my samsung ht-x200 system.
>
> When I first started using it, it used to boot in really quick and
> then as I put more stuff on it became slower, it seems to need to scan
> and pick up the first file to play and it always picks the same film.
>
> I decided to catalogue them to see if it got quicker, by that I mean
> put films in different folders but it takes ages still and seems to
> pick out the first folder then start playing the first film.
>
> Once the first file starts to play I can stop it and I can flick
> through the folders really quick so not sure what is happening.
>
> Anyone had this problem and how have you, if you have, overcome it. I
> did think of making a menu in html but doubt that would work as I dont
> think it will read html files.

It is probably building an index of all the playable files on the disk.

My BD player places a limit of 650 files and folders, but it looks like
yours doesn't. When it runs out of memory it will crash.

Old August 10th 09, 05:52 PM posted to uk.media.home-cinema
les les is offline

Thought Samsung was gonna help but they sent an email saying that they
can't support hard drives over 160gb
Not sure what that was about though.
Suppose I'll have to live with it as dont fancy updating the firmware,
just incase it makes matters worse.