Old June 7th 09, 01:35 PM posted to uk.media.home-cinema

Default AV box?

OK, can someone explain why I need to push my HD Video feed through an amp?
all these surround sound units appear to be promoting this feature.
Surely its the sound that the box works with, what does the video side of
things have to do with it?
--
Vass

Old June 7th 09, 02:22 PM posted to uk.media.home-cinema

"Vass" > wrote in message ...
> OK, can someone explain why I need to push my HD Video feed through an amp?
> all these surround sound units appear to be promoting this feature.
> Surely its the sound that the box works with, what does the video side of
> things have to do with it?

Blu Ray supports some hidef audio formats that run at a higher bitrate than traditional DD or DTS.
You can't output these formats over an optical digital (or coax digital) output.

If you want to get the benefit of them you'll need to connect to your amp via HDMI and as your source will probably only have one HDMI output it the amp will need to be able to pass the video signal on to the TV

--
Alex

"I laugh in the face of danger , then I hide until it goes away"
Old June 7th 09, 06:14 PM posted to uk.media.home-cinema

"Vass" > wrote in message
> OK, can someone explain why I need to push my HD Video feed through an
> amp?
> all these surround sound units appear to be promoting this feature.
> Surely its the sound that the box works with, what does the video side of
> things have to do with it?

This is because they are generally AV Amps (Audio and Video) and not just
audio...

The Amp can act as a switch for all of the incoming signals and switch the
audio and video at the same time. Also, many Amps allow you to connect
'legacy' devices and output via (upscaled) HDMI.

Also, as already stated, HDMI can carry bitstreams of HD Audio that can be
decoded by the Amp. It makes sense to send the Video too as the Amp can
potentially adjust the synchronisation to ensure lipsync.

Justin.

Old June 10th 09, 01:49 PM posted to uk.media.home-cinema

"Justin Cole" > wrote in message
om...
> "Vass" > wrote in message
>> OK, can someone explain why I need to push my HD Video feed through an
>> amp?
>> all these surround sound units appear to be promoting this feature.
>> Surely its the sound that the box works with, what does the video side of
>> things have to do with it?

> This is because they are generally AV Amps (Audio and Video) and not just
> audio...
>
> The Amp can act as a switch for all of the incoming signals and switch the
> audio and video at the same time. Also, many Amps allow you to connect
> 'legacy' devices and output via (upscaled) HDMI.
>
> Also, as already stated, HDMI can carry bitstreams of HD Audio that can be
> decoded by the Amp. It makes sense to send the Video too as the Amp can
> potentially adjust the synchronisation to ensure lipsync.

understood, thanks both of you. time to spend some money then
--
Vass

Old June 10th 09, 05:45 PM posted to uk.media.home-cinema

"Vass" > wrote in message
> OK, can someone explain why I need to push my HD Video feed through an
> amp?
> all these surround sound units appear to be promoting this feature.
> Surely its the sound that the box works with, what does the video side of
> things have to do with it?
> --
> Vass

No particular reason other than convenience. Some AV amps can adjust the
sound timing for better synchronisation.