Old February 23rd 09, 01:54 PM posted to uk.media.home-cinema

Default Setting up PS3 with Pioneer VSX D510 receiver and LCD?

Hi,

I have a Pioneer VSX D510 receiver which does not have any HDMI inputs
or outputs. I have purchased a Samsung LN52A630 LCD.

I am purchasing one AV component at a time. Until I purchase a new
receiver with video and audio decoding is it possible to hook up a PS3
to the receiver to send out high def video through the receiver to the
TV and high end audio through the receiver to the speakers? I'm trying
to figure out if I can watch get Blue Ray quality video and audio with
this set up.

The receiver has one optical input and a number of RCA inputs and
outputs.

Thanks for the insight.

Alex

Old February 26th 09, 04:02 PM posted to uk.media.home-cinema

"Alex" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a Pioneer VSX D510 receiver which does not have any HDMI inputs
> or outputs. I have purchased a Samsung LN52A630 LCD.

Then your only option is to feed the source HDMI output direct
to the LCD. If what you're asking is a switching unit so as to
accommadate multiple HDMI source to only one HDMI input
then you should have bought a an LCD with more than one
HDMI input, so now you do need an independent switching unit.

> I am purchasing one AV component at a time. Until I purchase a new
> receiver with video and audio decoding is it possible to hook up a PS3
> to the receiver to send out high def video through the receiver to the
> TV

No that is not possible with that reciever. See above.

> and high end audio through the receiver to the speakers? I'm trying
> to figure out if I can watch get Blue Ray quality video and audio with
> this set up.

You are talking ********.
The Blu-Ray player/PS3, etc decodes the audio and you feed it via analog
out direct to analog line-in of your receiver.
If what you are asking is you want to output a digital stream for the
purpose of externally decoding - Why?
Any external decoder will do exactly as the source decoding but adds
an additional and possible degrading link (read jitter) into the chain.

> The receiver has one optical input and a number of RCA inputs and
> outputs.

HDMI v1.3 can carry both Hi-Def video and audio, but only direct
to a device that has HDMI v1.3. Your LCD may be able to accept
such a signal, but it won't be able to decode the audio "any better"
then the source components, and you'll be listening to the audio
via the LCD's crap in-built speakers
The Toslink fibre optic input and maybe also a S/Pdif coax input of
the Pioneer are for 16bit PCM decoding, not Hi-Def feeds

> Thanks for the insight.

My pleasure, you're an imbecile.

> Alex

Connect the BR and/or PS3 via HDMI to the LCD
Connect the analog audio RCA out to the Pioneer.
You will find, that like most who have bought into
the Hi-Def scam, you will mostly watch SD material
on your LCD, there is very little (as yet) HD worth
watching. And standard def is ****e on LCD.
You didn't do your homework, you have bought an
expensive monster of an LCD, you don't have a capable
HD source yet and you are clueless.
You are destined to be disappointed.